Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mutants: Out. C25K: In.

Things are still moving along on "Plan."  Well, except for the book thing.  I finally gave up on Go, Mutants!  I realized that I was actually scowling at the book and planning elaborate ways of destroying it every time I saw it on the nightstand.  Fortunately for it, it's from the library, so I couldn't go much beyond the dirty looks without risking a heavy fine.  Unfortunately for me, I still haven't returned it to the library, so it's currently racking up $0.25 per day.  Stupid book.  Remind me to never again check out a book with a fifties-style space alien on the cover.  The library will probably be able to build a new wing once I finally get the book turned in and pay the fine.  This is the reason I should stick to bookstores!!

I did start a new book, an autobiography, yesterday that I think I will enjoy called Born Round by Frank Bruni, the former NY Times restaurant critic.  I've only read the first few chapters so far, but it's fascinating to read about his struggle with food and his weight that started in childhood.  Although I'm sure the obsession comes from a different place, but as the mother of a food-obsessed seven-year-old it's very enlightening to hear it from a different perspective.

And, I've started work on another goal: running a 5K!  Yesterday I started doing the Couch to 5K program from Cool Runnings.  Basically, it's a two-month training program designed transform couch potato into runner.  Perfect!  So day one was a five minute warm up walk followed by eight 60 second run/90 second walk intervals.  I actually felt amazing!  I've been walking around the lake a couple times a week, so I just started with the C25K program, then continued with my walk around the lake once the intervals were done.  I'm planning on running Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Cool thing--the walk from my house around the lake is 3.3 miles.  A 5K is 3.11 miles, so once I can run all the way around the lake, I'll know I'm ready for a 5K.  I was thinking maybe a Turkey Day Trot would be fun, but we're not sure where we'll be on Thanksgiving yet.  If we stay home, I'll probably shoot for Dana Point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment